Insulate and solarise our homes
UK homes are some of the most expensive to heat in Europe. We can reduce emissions and fuel poverty.
Huge numbers of homes are in disrepair all over the UK. Poor maintenance and insulation has led to UK homes being some of the most expensive to heat in Europe – driving up fuel poverty. And rather than fairly and sustainably delivering the new homes we need, big house builders are controlling supply and simply acting as land speculators. It is time for their behaviour to be seriously regulated, and for government to take an active role in leading us out of this crisis.
- Properly fund and implement a UK-wide green economic strategy – increasing investment and development in every region beyond the South East.
- Build top quality new homes – at no extra cost to the public. The estimated cost of implementing a zero-carbon homes standard is below £5,000 for a semi-detached house and under £3,000 for an apartment block.
- Extensively insulate and solarise existing homes – with financial support from the government.
- Green our heating systems.
- Give local authorities more powers and teeth.
Policy in practice
Projects that demonstrate the benefits or may be helped by polices like this.
Save Druids Heath
Residents fight council plans to rebuild their homes that ignore their community.
Walterton and Elgin Community Homes
Tenant-controlled housing estate emerged from the struggle of residents against the sale of their homes to private developers.
Residents and workers aim to turn former hospital site into affordable housing.
London Renters Union
Tenants are taking action against rip-off landlords to win lower rents and longer tenancies.
Fossetts for the People
Campaigners want to ensure former NHS land is used for publicly owned social housing.
Winner of the 2019 RIBA Stirling prize, these eco-friendly homes are one of the first new council housing projects in a generation.
Lilac – Low Impact Living Affordable Community
Lilac is a environmentally-friendly housing co-op with an innovative funding model.
Granby 4 Streets
A determined group of residents saved their streets by taking them over.