Insulate and solarise our homes
UK homes are some of the most expensive to heat in Europe. We can reduce emissions and fuel poverty.
Huge numbers of homes are in disrepair all over the UK. Poor maintenance and insulation has led to UK homes being some of the most expensive to heat in Europe – driving up fuel poverty. And rather than fairly and sustainably delivering the new homes we need, big house builders are controlling supply and simply acting as land speculators. It is time for their behaviour to be seriously regulated, and for government to take an active role in leading us out of this crisis.
- Properly fund and implement a UK-wide green economic strategy – increasing investment and development in every region beyond the South East.
- Build top quality new homes – at no extra cost to the public. The estimated cost of implementing a zero-carbon homes standard is below £5,000 for a semi-detached house and under £3,000 for an apartment block.
- Extensively insulate and solarise existing homes – with financial support from the government.
- Green our heating systems.
- Give local authorities more powers and teeth.
Sign up to change the rules
Join our movement to build a democratic and sustainable economy. Together we can change the rules to make the economy work for everyone.